Friday, July 31, 2015

The Ultimate Edwin VanCleef (2 Turn) Combo

One of my favorite things about my Rogue deck is the Legendary card Edwin VanCleef. For those who don't know, for each card that is played earlier in the turn, Edwin VanCleef gains an extra +2 Attack/ +2 Health! With this Combo bonus, it is possible to create a 20+ Attack/ 20+ Defense Minion during a match. Especially when the majority of Rogue spells cost only 2 Mana or less, this card can be a threat on almost every single turn.

While it is possible to create a ridiculously powerful Minion with any spell based Rogue deck from turns 5 and on, I've found the most success when using Edwin VanCleef in the first few turns of a match. If I ever start a match with Edwin VanCleef or the "The Coin" I immediately throw any cards with a Mana Cost of 2 or more back into my deck. The goal is to get cards like Backstab (0), Preparation (0) & Deadly Poison (1) which cost little to no Mana. I can then combo these cards in a single turn while still having enough Mana to play Edwin VanCleef.

Here is an example of a match that I just recently played where I started with Edwin VanCleef & "The Coin" in my hand:
Turn 1: My opponent started the match by playing Leper Gnome. This card is played in the majority of Low Mana Cost aggressive decks. Normally I would use Backstab this turn or use "The Coin" and attack him with my Hero directly. However, knowing I had Edwin VanCleef I had to save both cards for next turn.

Turn 2: I took 2 damage from Leper Gnome, and then my opponent played Knife Juggler. Instead of wasting Backstab on the Leper Gnome I was able to efficiently use it on his (2 Mana Cost card) 3/2 Knife Juggler. Not only that, but it also gave me an extra combo towards Edwin VanCleef. I then used "The Coin" which gave me the 3 Mana I needed to summon a 6/6 Edwin VanCleef!



Turn 3:  By only the third turn of the match I had already had a 6/6 Minion on the board. Unfortunately for my opponent, I don't think that there are many cards 3-4 Mana Cost Cards that can destroy a 6/6 Minion (Especially for a Paladin with an Aggressive deck). He would have had to play a few more turns to play a more powerful card.

However, by this time I would have damaged his hero to below 20HP, plus I would have had board control. It would have been very difficult to come back and win at that point.

Recap: Edwin VanCleef can be used in many different situations. By using combo spells you can usually clear out all enemy minions and then play a X+/X+ of your own. It can really completely change the pace of a match. 

If you have one or two additional Minions on the board before unleashing a combo of this type you are almost always guaranteed a win. This card brings another element of surprise to the Rogue deck and that is why it is one of my favorite cards. Quickly win in the early game or create an extremely powerful Minion in the mid to late game. This card can fit into any kind of Rogue style of play.

If you have any stories or strategies of your own related to Edwin VanCleef please share in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!